Saturday, November 17, 2018

Theatre Family Dynamics



One of the…funnest parts of being…in a show…is building the comradery with your cast mates. And I’m, don’t have that experience on this show, uh “Miracle in Bedford Falls” right now. Cause choreo…chor, choreographying? Wow, good English. Choreographing. I am a little bit separate from all of that, uh…, interaction that happens back stage, umm, before you go on. Uh, I’ve heard a lot of people throughout my experience talking about, umm, you know you have your pre-show rituals, or your pre-scene rituals, or as you come on stage for certain scenes you always talk to this specific person, you have your moment, umm, on stage, uh, during a scene. Umm, especially as like a chorus person where you’re pretending to be a crowd, or your walking through a street scene, so you interact and have looks that you share with different people every time you do a scene. And one of the interesting things to watch as a choreographer, umm, is to see all of those different character aspects come out and see them develop and grow, and umm. For some reason tonight I just…saw a lot more of that and reacted to it and it was funny and it…it made me smile to see some of those things. And…it…it’s interesting…to see the different ways that people interact. Umm. Both the, the actors onstage and backstage, uh, the crew. Umm. I was in a particular vantage point that I could see a little bit of all of that. I saw some of the actors onstage, I saw them offstage, I could see some of the crew in the wings, I could see the pit and how they were interacting with each other and…and then of course I was interacting with different people as well.  And it, it just really kinda brought home that family aspect of doing theater. Umm, and especially with community theater where you don’t do shows for more then a couple of weekends of performances. It really makes you realize how special those relationships and, and family moments are. Umm. You know its part of the reason we do it. Is to connect with each other and connect with an audience and, umm, just really get to explore the human experience in a way that not everyone else does. Umm. So yeah, it was…an interesting food for thought today. So, umm, thought I’d share. Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment